What is Self-care?
So at this point I’m basically an expert when it comes to #selfcare. I have been practicing and making it apart of my lifestyle for almost a year now. Which means I have some pretty awesome tips and tricks I can bring to the table for my readers. What is self-care? “It produces positive feelings, which improves confidence and self-esteem too. Self–care is important for your family and friends too. They learn from you, so setting functional boundaries to take care of yourself shows them that they too need to put themselves first and not overextend or overwork” I got this definition from Google and I think it did a great job explaining the term.
I should have implemented self-care a LONG time ago, but here we are. One of the good things about social media is in some instances it makes you more aware. I saw this term being used heavily on Pinterest and also Instagram so I decided to do a little research and dive in.Thirteen years ago when I was a brand new mom knowing this would have helped SO much. I was burnt out from taking care of my baby and although I loved her very much, I was running myself ragged. Eventually my Mom had to step in and told me “Baby won’t be good unless Mommy is good.” She booked me an appointment for a massage, and that evening I hung out with some friends I hadn’t seen in a while. So self-care has been around, I just was not taking advantage of it in the capacity that I should have. It is so important to take some time to take care of you. ESPECIALLY if you are extremely busy taking care of everyone else. You have to carve out some time to disconnect and enjoy what makes you happy.
I composed a list of 10 Awesome Ideas for Self-Care. The BEST part about this list is 5 include spending money and 5 do not. You don’t have to dish out cash in order to enjoy some alone time, but it’s nice to have options!
***Disclosure: this portion of the post contains affiliate links. I may receive a small commission if you choose to purchase a product I have mentioned below***
- Try Cooking A New Meal- The majority of us complete a weekly grocery list anyway. Why not spend a little time looking up a new dish you want to create and having it with a sip of your favorite wine? Sounds like a win win to me.
- Write a Letter to Someone You Love- Writing is cathartic…says the gal with the Blog. I absolutely love doing it. How long has it been since you have handwritten a letter? I’m sure quite some time. I’m also sure it will lift the spirits of the person on the receiving end of this self-care tip.
- Watch Your Favorite Channel on YouTube- Sounds super corny, I know. But I kid you not, there is this one fella that does home decor and I absolutely love putting on my favorite PJ’s and watching his channel.
- Plan Out Your Goals- Grab a sheet of paper and a pen and start writing! Since we are at the end of the year I feel like this one is super important but of course it can be done at anytime. Jot down some things you want to achieve short term and long term. I am really big on putting your thoughts into the universe.
- Take a Nap- Not gonna lie. This one is probably my favorite. I can be in the worst mood…take a nap and wake up a whole new person. It helps calm my spirit and my mind.
- Buy Comfy Lounge Clothes- I can’t tell yall how excited I get about buying lounge clothes. My two favorites are long black cami’s from Amazon and black crew socks. I also like to go through the clearance rack at Target and find $7-11.00 sweatpants on sale.
- Get a Massage- 1 hour to 1.5 hour long massages are ideal. You completely de-stress your body and I am always a fan of that.
- Light Candles- I have two favs from Bath & Body Works right now. They are the Pumpkin Waffles and Sweater Weather. Lighting candles always brings a sense of calmness to my body. I usually put them in my bathroom, kitchen, and kitchen table. If the kids are spending a weekend with their Grandparents I also like to throw a few single wicks in the fireplace.
- Plan a Trip- This doesn’t have to be anything extravagant by any means. It can be as simple as getting a hotel locally and ordering room service! Explore your town or go somewhere else. You also have the option to just stay inside. Totally up to you and how you’re vibing.
- Facemask- Take a trip to Ulta or Target and grab a new facemask. Also pajamas optional.
How Does it Look?
As a mommy and wife I haven’t really been able to pull off a whole day devoted to self-care. For those who have, kudos to you! Instead I take a few hours every two weeks to indulge in the things I love. I usually plan them out on Fridays (while the kids are at school and Markaus is at work) or Saturday mornings. One of my most cherished self-care items includes getting my nails done and a pedicure. If you’ve seen my Instagram I like to aim for whatever new shade of nude is out lol. In conclusion try composing a list of some items you want to try out and just go from there! The process doesn’t have to be super detailed. After all this is meant to create a more relaxed and refreshed version of YOU. Drop some comments below on your favorite self-care activities. I would love to hear about the things you enjoy as well.
Thanks for reading!
xoxo Meg May