If you’ve read my About Me then you’re aware of a snippet of my story! For those of you who did not, I will be more than happy to fill you in. On December 28th of 2022 I had the Traditional Duodenal Switch which is a Bariatric Weight Loss Surgery. In October of 2022 I reached my highest weight ever of 276 lbs. as a 4 foot 11 inch woman. I knew a change had to be made and I was tired of feeling defeated, worn out, and quite frankly out of breath all the time. So I decided to go and do a consultation for Weight Loss Surgery. If you want to keep up with my Journey, I am documenting it through my YouTube Channel.
Fast forward, I was able to complete the three appointments my insurance required in order for me to receive approval for my surgery. What I didn’t expect was to be able to get in before the end of the year! With 7 Birthdays in my Family for the month of December, Christmas, and work…well to say I was stressed out was an understatement. However, I powered through, went through my Pre-Op Diet for a week, then a 2 Week Liquid Diet following surgery which was by far the hardest time of my life.
2 Week Post Op Appointment
The time had come for me to finally eat food and get off liquids, and it was a GLORIOUS day. I was looking forward to my Post Op Appointment and excited to eat healthy foods. With my procedure my stomach is now significantly smaller than it was before. At this time, I am only able to eat 1oz. of protein comfortably and I am full. I still take in 64 oz. or more of fluids and I do not have an issue there.
At my Post Op Appointment I was cleared to start eating again, and also since my incisions were healing well I needed to start working out for 30 minutes a day. Here are the stats I received at my appointment:
- 13.2% of my Excess Weight Lost
- -31 lbs. Total (Went from 276 lbs. to 245 lbs.)
- BMI Decreased from 53 to 48
With that being said, my wheels started spinning as to what I would do for my workout regimen. I have a really nice gym onsite at work so there was really NO reason or excuse not to workout. It is literally steps away from my office lol. So I started bringing my workout clothes, and also got a pair of workout sneakers that I just leave at the office as well. That was less for me to pack on a daily basis.
How to Ease Back into the Gym
Starting a workout regimen is not easy, but there are a few tips I have to offer to be able to ease your way back in, or just to start all together.
- Invest in Air Pods or another type of earphones. I have found that listening to music, podcasts, or watching a YouTube Video really helps me power through my workout.
- Start out with a simple workout. My go to is always Interval or Weight Loss which is already available on the treadmill. No need to run 5 miles on your first day. You want to make sure you create a goal where you feel accomplished, and also want to return the next day.
- Purchase a cute water bottle. Because you need to hydrate, why not be stylish and fashionable at the same time? I am linking mine here.
- Be patient. Easier said than done I know. Now we are trying to build consistency and routine. Results will come as long as the first two are acknowledged.
- Set a smart + attainable goal.
I will be going to the Gym at work Wednesday through Friday, then I plan to have outdoor activities to burn through the calories on Saturday and Sunday. Mondays and Tuesdays are pretty hectic for me at work so I am choosing those as my rest days.
What are your Fitness Goals for 2023?